Spray Gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We are taking a lease on 7000sq ft premises. They're a shop storeroom type of space - solid concrete walls, ceiling, etc.

We want to paint it all in white (walls and ceiling) without plastering for the most part (straight onto the cement walls). The walls have been painted in the past so its not exposed cement, block, brick etc.

We were thinking of buying a spray gun off of eBay especially as its all going to be the same colour and it's a massive area to paint.

What we don't know is which type of sprayer would be best. We think either HVLP or LVLP would be best, especially LVLP as it seems to be easier for newbs to get to grips with and is meant to be very efficient. Also, lower overspray etc might make it easier to use when repainting in the future when mirrors, furniture etc will be around.

W are really grateful if u can please advise us ie best technology, likely prices, problems buying used, etc etc.

Thanks again for all your help!

Z

Sponsored Links
I know it won't help you much but in all honesty you would be better off with a long piled roller, using a roller is just as fast and will require less coats of paint. Also less ladder work and mess

Thanks Pigeon

Will look into it...on the plus side it saves us a fair bit on equipment, requires less skill/experience and probably less masking around windows etc!

Is the painting time as fast or is it the total time ie prep work of spraying, cleaning guns, etc. that makes using a roller as fast?

Thanks again!

Z

Spraying simply isn't the answer if you have no experience in the industry.
Paint has to be thinned correctly and you have to use the right tip size as well as use the correct spraying technique.

Good gear won't come in under £1000-1500 new, if your willing to lay out the cash why not just get a contractor in (or at least get a quote)? You can also hire the equipment but its likely to have been abused and poorly cleaned

BTW forget the machines you see on Sunday morning DIY shows and on the shelves of the sheds.

Also based on 7000 sqm (i realise thats not the wall and ceiling sqm but hopefully you get my point) your looking at over 400 litres of paint, a contractor is gonna get it a lot cheaper than what you can. I think your right to spray as roller application could take 10 days, times that by your own daily earnings and the contractor is by far your best option

Sponsored Links
Hi DCdec

Thanks for your reply. I will be getting a few quotes in to see if we can get a pro in...that said, at the moment my times cheap! :)

Just to be sure, is it 400l for 7000 sq metres or for 7000 sq feet? Same with the time...as size wise it's a big difference...we have total a floor area of 7000 sq feet.

Thanks again!

Z

Square metres based on dulux trade vinyl matt @ 17sqm per litre. Just wanted to make the point that your material cost could be significantly reduced if paying a contractors price. Although if i wanted to buy that much paint i'd ring round for the best deal. I know a guy that buys paint by the pallet he'll be paying a lot less than me.
Obviously you need to do a square measurement of your walls and ceilings to get an accurate estimate then add 10%

Just seen your in london, there's a regular on here called opps, i think he sprays so may be worth sending him a PM as he's in the smoke.

If you are willing to put in the time then get yourself some rollers. One colour all over nice and easy job. Might want to consider hiring some scaffolding depending on how high the ceiling is of coarse.

Gotta disagree with the roller thing. On a good day i have rolled 40 litres a day on big jobs, 10 days on my guesstimate of rolling is a bit mad when it could be sprayed in two with a day for masking, scaffolding could well be needed at more expense whereas a spray contractor will have extensions for the gear. If it was my job i would definately sub it out. If i did roll it i'd get an 18" sleeve but i wouldn't, no way, sorry pigeon it just doesn't make sense unless the sqm is a lot less than has been quoted

Hi guys thanks for your advice.

DCdec, I will pm opps to see what he reckons, etc.

Thanks again!

Z

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back