Spray insulation for attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon , we bought an old Edwardian house last December that doesnt hold the heat very well
Last winter i spent a lot of time in the attic removing the old crappy pink insulation that was up there and replacing with about 300mm Knauf Eko Roll Loft insulation roll.
I got about 50% of the attic complete before spring kicked in and i kind of lost interest once the heating got turned off.
Im planning my return to the attic in the next few weeks before the weather starts getting colder.
Im thinking that together with the insulation roll , id like to spray the foam insulation stuff between the rafters for an additional level of insulation .

Could anyone recommend me a brand i should look for . I dont want to pay to get it done professionally and was looking to but the spray cans and gun myself. I just need advise , also should i be looking at getting 'open cell' or 'closed cell' ?

Sponsored Links
Don't do it. Google knackered roof timbers, how to make your house un-mortgageable etc. Best thing is PIR (celotex) between rafters with 50mm air gap and additional full, or large, sheets fixed below, as thick as you can afford.
I would totally agree, if the attic was a habitable space with a source of heating (or going to be soon!) :)

As it is, the loft will remain a cold space, with a lot of money spent on PIR, for negligible impact on the temperatures of the habitable rooms below.
IMHO, what you have started with the eko roll, may be as good as you can get, balancing cost with returns.

....and as above - definitely no spray foam! :)

Sponsored Links
Every now and again the big chains do a good deal on insulation.
no idea how much you save v gas prices while waiting.

I would totally agree, if the attic was a habitable space with a source of heating (or going to be soon!) :)

As it is, the loft will remain a cold space, with a lot of money spent on PIR, for negligible impact on the temperatures of the habitable rooms below.
IMHO, what you have started with the eko roll, may be as good as you can get, balancing cost with returns.

....and as above - definitely no spray foam! :)

True.

The maths is a bit beyond me and I think more than 300mm at ceiling level used to be at the point of marginal returns - but who knows these days - maybe 400mm is now a worthwhile investment?

Proper information here .

I have 450mm loft insulation , brothers home is housing association built terrace , they are heavily insulated 500mm plus, he only need to have the heating on a hour a day in winter .
Insulation is not to make the house warmer it’s to retain the heat produced .

Good afternoon , we bought an old Edwardian house last December that doesnt hold the heat very well
Last winter i spent a lot of time in the attic removing the old crappy pink insulation that was up there and replacing with about 300mm Knauf Eko Roll Loft insulation roll.
I got about 50% of the attic complete before spring kicked in and i kind of lost interest once the heating got turned off.
Im planning my return to the attic in the next few weeks before the weather starts getting colder.
Im thinking that together with the insulation roll , id like to spray the foam insulation stuff between the rafters for an additional level of insulation .

Could anyone recommend me a brand i should look for . I dont want to pay to get it done professionally and was looking to but the spray cans and gun myself. I just need advise , also should i be looking at getting 'open cell' or 'closed cell' ?
You can’t use spray cans , would need hundreds for the volume required and ruin your property .

Is it ok to lay insulation on an attic floor that has lots of thin boards screwed down. No insulation below the boards.

Is it ok to lay insulation on an attic floor that has lots of thin boards screwed down. No insulation below the boards.
That would be a waste as drafts in the gap between ceiling and boards would still carry heat away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back