Sprayable Water based Polyurethane does it exist in the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ask because i'm struggling to find one?

I can find Solvent based ones all day long but I need to spray it without the absolute faff of cleaning the gun in solvents all the time!

Sponsored Links
Rustoleum sell it, but its expensive even for a small tin.

I have seen Johnstons sell a big tin of it. Sold as floor varnish, but I can't why it can't be used on other surfaces

what equipment are you spraying with? tips available? do you have a ford cup? if the material is thin enough you can spray it. you don't need to look for "can be sprayed" on the label. Ronseal interior is waterborne and I have sprayed that without any issues

Hi Woody,

Thanks i've found the johnstons stuff and i'm going to add it to my list of clearcoats to try out.

Rustoleum sell it, but its expensive even for a small tin.

I have seen Johnstons sell a big tin of it. Sold as floor varnish, but I can't why it can't be used on other surfaces

Sponsored Links
what equipment are you spraying with? tips available? do you have a ford cup? if the material is thin enough you can spray it. you don't need to look for "can be sprayed" on the label. Ronseal interior is waterborne and I have sprayed that without any issues

I've got a straight from can airless Wagner Spray gun hence wanting easy cleaning as running 5l of Brush cleaner through it to clean it each time i cant imagine will either do it much good or for that matter will cost a fortune in Cleaning fluid.

I've just googled the 'ford cup' you mentioned so i'll get one of those ordered and investigate the various viscosities needed to spray. Normally I wouldnt mind applying coats by hand but business is booming for one of my products but this product is the equivalent of painting a whole sheet of ply for each one and when adding multiple coats it's a PITA!!

I've got a straight from can airless Wagner Spray gun hence wanting easy cleaning as running 5l of Brush cleaner through it to clean it each time i cant imagine will either do it much good or for that matter will cost a fortune in Cleaning fluid.

I've just googled the 'ford cup' you mentioned so i'll get one of those ordered and investigate the various viscosities needed to spray. Normally I wouldnt mind applying coats by hand but business is booming for one of my products but this product is the equivalent of painting a whole sheet of ply for each one and when adding multiple coats it's a PITA!!
ah ok, sounds like airless, you can spray most things through them, id imagine a 310 or 308 for waterborne poly.

ah ok, sounds like airless, you can spray most things through them, id imagine a 310 or 308 for waterborne poly.

Yep airless. Its a Wagner 250M. More suited to painting rooms I think but it comes with a 311 tip which I think works out as a 1.1mm tip size? they do a 211 for tis model but I think that means the tip size is the same but the spray size is smaller?

first number should be the fan size in inches at approx 25cm, second 2 numbers are the tip aperture in thou. normally wall paints like emulsion are 16+, for trim paints and varnishes etc, 08-11 should be fine on the tip sizes. bigger hole = more paint release and thicker materials.

so the difference between your 211 and 311 is just spray fan size.

first number should be the fan size in inches at approx 25cm, second 2 numbers are the tip aperture in thou. normally wall paints like emulsion are 16+, for trim paints and varnishes etc, 08-11 should be fine on the tip sizes. bigger hole = more paint release and thicker materials.

so the difference between your 211 and 311 is just spray fan size.

The 2 and 3 actually refer to aperture angle, so a 311 tip is 30 degrees with an 11 thou hole.

A rough rule of thumb is double the first number and that will give a spraying width if spray gun is 8" away.

So a 311 tip has a 6" fan pattern width.

Yep airless. Its a Wagner 250M. More suited to painting rooms I think but it comes with a 311 tip which I think works out as a 1.1mm tip size? they do a 211 for tis model but I think that means the tip size is the same but the spray size is smaller?

Ideally you should be using a Air assisted airless, it adds in a little air to help break up the tails of the fan.

The best waterbased clear lacquer I've found is Sayerlack - I used to buy it from Movac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back