Spraying silicone on stone gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any experience of doing this, and could give me any tips please? A year ago I paid a local builder to repoint the gable end (which he did) and to spray it with silicone (which he hasn't, and it seems that he doesn't intend to finish the job). As I can't afford to pay anyone else, I wondered if it was possible to hire the equipment, buy the silicone and do it myself. The stone is ashlar I think (Calderdale, Yorkshire), house is 125 years old.

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't need spraying with anything. Why do you think it should be?

It was the builder who told me it should be sprayed... The stone seems quite porous and there is a bit of damp coming in on the corner of the gable end beside and above the front door lintel about 1 metre square. The rest of the gable end seems OK, no damp coming through.

Maybe the builder wasn't being honest about what needs to be done. The pointing work he did was good though - it's just that he's left several jobs unfinished (e.g. expanding foam in gaps in external wall around waste pipe rather than cement) and I'm trying to finish them myself. The more I think about it, the less I trust what he told me.

ive got to do this on a wall where i work,its sand stone and very very porus and very old,years ago there was a product called grangers fluid but iirc was rather expensive for 5 ltrs,as we worked in the preservation industry we used to use spirit based dpc fluid which was basically the same thing but im going to be using this,for the job ive got to do.
http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/

i would suggest if your going to be doing this your self then obtain a decent hand held sprayer,im luckey ive got a pump to do my job.
and follow the instructions you dont need to go mad and waste it keep the spray close to the wall,and remember if using a ladder be aware it will make things rather slippery

Sponsored Links
have a good look for any defects letting in water, such as gutters, roof edge, downpipes, windowsills, joints and fix them first.

Like Joe says, a sound wall shouldn't need it, but maybe it is exposed to driving rain and doesn't have enough time to dry out? We don't get that down here so I wouldn't know.

View media item 5710

johnd that must have been an old weather map,im sure it was hotter then that down here today.

as been advised check defects 1st other wise total waste of time and money.

That's tonight's weather.

Tomorrow is 30C, as usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back