What to do with these crumbly Stone (Blue Lias) walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently looking at a first (top) floor flat which although leasehold I'll be responsible for the 1st floor external walls. The entire property has been ribbon pointed with cement at some point which has made the stone work worse, the ground floor section of walls look in reasonably good shape but the first floor needs a lot of work.

It is built with a local blue lias stone.

The property is semi detached so I only have the front, side and rear gable (the neighboring properties are a lot more sheltered so are fine). Most of the side which is the longest wall is ok, it needs attention around the two windows and possibly a few stones replacing, the rear gable has a lot of stones that look like they've completely crumbled, the front section needs attention around all the windows particularly one corner which will probably need the outer section rebuilding.

The scaffold and skips etc will already be in place as I'll be replacing the roof.

I just want to get some advice on what to do with it, obviously removing all the cement render and completely re-pointing with lime and replacing any stones along the way is the best way to go but this would be very expensive. At roughly 80 square meters of stone work I'd be looking at £4000-4500 just to get the re pointing done, plus the extra labor and materials to replace stones and rebuild around the windows plus replacing stones or at worst rebuilding sections of the gable end.

The other option would be to just rebuild or re point around the windows, replace the worst of the stones and then continue with the ribbon pointing in the places where it's missing. I could then spray all of the external walls in a water repellent anti penetrating damp treatment to hold back any further damage. This would be the quickest and cheapest method but I'm unsure how bad ribbon pointing really is, I've heard that it really accelerates the damage to stones.

Any suggestions on what to do? If I do the second option how long will it be before the wall needs any more work? Although the price of the property reflects money is tight but I'd be looking at keeping the place for a long time.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that pointing that is proud is detrimental longmterm as it creates ledges for water.

Ive seen such pointing done on a house with coursed stonework. It had been dobe over the original, not cut back. Thatbmeant the pointing was starting to fall off.

I would say just get the worst areas done now, properly and leave the rest for a few years, if you dont want the huge layout now.

I imagine a birds beak pointing style would look nice and is a correct detail.

There are silane/siloxane based waterproofers thst are better than the cheap thomsons type wster seal.

Last edited:
I've attached some photos showing the worst of the front windows and the rear gable along with sections of the side wall.

Attachments

• IMG_5195 (1).jpg
    IMG_5195 (1).jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_5198 (1).jpg
    IMG_5198 (1).jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_5202 (1).jpg
    IMG_5202 (1).jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_5203 (1).jpg
    IMG_5203 (1).jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_5206 (1).jpg
    IMG_5206 (1).jpg
    297 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_5213 (1).jpg
    IMG_5213 (1).jpg
    531 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_5217 (1).jpg
    IMG_5217 (1).jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 469
I would stay well clear. That whole wall needs taking down and relaying. You'll have to do the whole building or it'll look awful. And on a leasehold too...

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t say the whole wall needs relaying, at worst part of the gable end and the front corner both sides of the right window.

It’s a 1000 year lease so that doesn’t bother and I’m waiting for the legal pack to see if the freeholder does have any responsibilities for the wall although the agent seems adamant they don’t.

But back to the wall I really want to get an idea on how bad the cement pointing really is, if I get around the windows sorted and the stone work in the gable replaced, what should it be built/pointed with. Surely doing it cement is not ideal but doing it in a lime mortar wouldn’t match the existing walls so I’d have to put up with it looking odd or repoint the whole building.

Any other suggestions or price guides?

i'm no expert but maybe the cement morter should be more lime based to allow for expansion contraction in cold / hot wet weather?
when i bought my house, a few brick faces where "blown" and the surveyor said it ideally needed re-pointing with lime based morter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back