Stone wall sealants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a stone wall house, where the side wall faces west and receives a lot of the weather. Even though the pointing is in reasonable shape, water does penetrate and ends up as damp patches.
I have seen products like Kingfisher wall sealants in use and I am impressed with the way they shed water, but I have a couple of questions.
With any pointing on a stone wall, the cement pointing 'separates' slightly from the adjacent stone over time, so if a treated wall is shedding rainwater, will not the surface water start to find its way between the pointing/stone interface and cause more problems?
Second, would the shed water not all end up at the base of the wall and have to be taken away by surface drainage? So after treatment, attention would have to applied so as not to increase surface water problems?
What are the experiences of people on this forum?

Sponsored Links
A product such as Johnstones Water Seal or equivalent is very effective on porous stone - but naturally enough it doesn't fill gaps at all.
Your stone should be pointed with lime mortar - which accommodates slight movement and still allows the joints to breathe.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back