spraying with gloss?

Sponsored Links
Just about every liquid gloss paint from your average DIY store states MUST NOT BE SPRAYED. mainly because it will require full breathing apps to use. (cost 10 times the sprayer). Most gloss would also be hard to dilute to get a good finish. The sprayer too will come with a very basic nozzle for 'general use' these HVLP guns are OK but finish not 100%.

I understand why you might want to spray gloss but it is not as easy as one might think. Costs, preparation, capital outlay, etc are enough to deter most people though

The paint needs to be thinned to a given level (measured with a viscosity cup)- the level depends upon how much "guts" the sprayer has- The unit you are looking at is woefully underpowered. It may be sufficient for gloss but you might need to thin it so much that it might compromise the integrity of the paint.

I have sprayed oilbased gloss with HVLP turbines but they are £500 units with much bigger turbines.

Even with HVLp guns 30% of the paint becomes airborne (this compares to 70% with conventional high pressure air sprayers). This means that you will have very sticky air floating around your house (FOR HOURS). With the Earlex unit in question the hose will be so short that you are likely to find that it will end up sucking the sticky air in. This will coat both the blades and the filter and will shag the unit out.

It might well be the case that you should use a clean air supply filter- I do it so little that I "get away with" AEBK carchol filter masks- £10+

If you really want to spray consider using two pack paints. BE WARNED that these are generally the domain of the PRO. The airbourne spray has a risk of explosion due to flammability, they also contain lovely ingredients such as cyanide. You will need a clean air supply if indoors and will need to sleep off site for a day or two.

Due to drying times (ie very very fast)- they are quite easy to achieve a good finish with. they are expensive to buy though.

Morells can advise you more re spray finishes.

http://www.morrells.co.uk/

just thought id give a quick review of the Earlex unit. It was actually better for gloss than emulsion. I found it did a good job spraying the gloss (i didnt thin it down) and then i used a brush to smooth it out. I easily did a lounge and dinning room in 15 mins. So it was nice and quick and it sprayed just the right amount so the coverage wasnt thick.

Spraying emulsion was not so good. I had to thin it down to such a level that it wasnt worth it. More than 70% water content and it sprayed ok but everything got covered in a fine mist ..including me lol.

overall this system is great if you have a house with no carpets down etc and not bothered where the paint goes (in my case).
But in 3/5 or so years when i come to repaint il just use a brush.
It was also very messy to clean.

Sponsored Links
Atomising waterbased paints requires much more pressure/airflow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back