Spreading lap joint!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I have just been asked by my neighbour to have a look at a problem with her roof.

The property is a bungalow and has a cut roof. The purlin running around the interior of the roof has come apart in one place just short of a strut. I'm assuming the lap joint should have been the other way up so the joints are always forced together...

Regardless the roof does have a noticeable hollow in it viewed from outside and the purlin has separated by approx 2" or 50mm on the inside.

She has no idea how long it's been like this...

The question: Would it be wise to simply clamp the lap joint back together put a coach bolt through it and then bolt a section of timber across the side of the joint to strengthen it? It should be quite straightforward but if the joists have been displaced for any significant period of time they may now be bowed and reluctant to go back to position. I don't want to simply make it worse! Or should I clamp it all up in it's current position.

What would you do?

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
It may be very difficult to lift the purlin (and rafters) back up now

Use some ply or timber across the joint (bother sides) to prevent further movement

Don't try to force it back it'll only cause problems. Do as woody says although I'd personally use steel straps . I can't recall exactly what they are called but it's possible to get straps off the shelf around a meter long by 40mm x 5mm (ish) with holes that can be simply screwed in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back