Spreading tile adhesive on tile rather than on wall - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having my bathroom done by some people and I noticed something that might not be normal. Rather than spread the tile adhesive on the wall and then place the tiles on it, he has put the adhesive on the back of the tile used that grooved spreading tool for tiling to spread it over the tile (dont know what its called) and then stuck it on moisture proof plasterboard. I am no tiling expert but the way I usually see it done is to put adhesive on the wall first and the put the tiles on. He has done it in a way that I can see the green coloured plasterboard between the tiles, but wont be seen later when the grout goes in. What motivated him to do it this way? The other way of doing it seems much more stable as there is more adhesive on the wall to work with. These people seem quite good overall and I have seem examples of their other work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most tilers apply to the wall due to speed and a better overal fixing, when I first did a bit of tiling, the guy I used to work with used to butter the tiles and not the wall, it was painfully slow.

It's not idea but not the end of the world, it will more than likely stick just fine.

Puting adhesive on the tile rather than the wall is sometimes useful when working in tight awkward spaces but all the pro tillers I know generally apply the adhesive to the wall, especially on a good flat background such as PB. It also ensures a nice even bed of adhesive so the finished tile face will look flat & even.

Puting adhesive on the tile rather than the wall is sometimes useful when working in tight awkward spaces but all the pro tillers I know generally apply the adhesive to the wall, especially on a good flat background such as PB. It also ensures a nice even bed of adhesive so the finished tile face will look flat & even.

My bathroom is really tiny and that is probably why. It just looked a bit abnormal to me and I felt that because it might not be secured to the wall because of his tiling method, that they will start to fall off after a while. Thanks for the reassurance.

Sponsored Links
The problem with that method is the back of a tile absorbs the moisture out of the adhesive so when it is offered to the plasterboard wall it is part dried and doesn't stick as well. Also if the plasterboard is in a wet area (not recommended) then water can reach the board easier and cause problems. Green board isn't 'waterproof'.

Also if the plasterboard is in a wet area (not recommended) then water can reach the board easier and cause problems. Green board isn't 'waterproof'.
Didn’t want to go there this time; it does get monotonous ;)

it doesnt matter how you spread it wether it be on the wall or back of tile the serator has groves for air pockets so it sets properly and should be fine why he did it like that only he knows it probably added hours of extra work for him you can serate a full wall in 3 minutes but nothing to worry about as long as the tiling was of good quality

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back