Spring water harvest/capture system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will probably pick the brains of the guys in the garden forum on this as well, but I wanted to get some input on the right materials to use for this from people with some plumbing expertise first.

I've attached a diagram that may or may not help with this..

My house has a groundwater spring at the boundary. The spring is already captured in a small sump from which the excess drains away in to the street drain.

I have a long term plan which is that I want to drop a pump in to this sump, pump the water from there to a holding tank via an underground pipe, then pump it again to provide pressure for use. The water will primarily be used for garden use but also for any other outdoor non-potable things that come up (car washing etc). The pipework will be installed long term, buried for most of its distance.

For various reasons I can't put that system in place at the moment but I can do a short term plan, which is to drop a pump in the sump and pump water to a water butt near where it's needed. However, I would like to make sure whatever I buy for the temporary solution can be used in the long term plan so I don't waste money.

So the things that I really need to choose and get right at this stage are:
- Which pump I need for the sump
- What type of pipe I should use to carry the water.

In terms of the sump pump, I think I have maybe 3.5m-4m of height to gain between the bottom of the sump and the highest point it needs to reach in either solution. The longest horizontal distance it needs to travel is 56m in the temporary solution, much less long term. I don't need a high flow rate, but I would like something that can be left in place long term and can cope with gritty debris and ideally cope with a surprise frosty night (but I'll bring it in for winter). I've been looking at this:
https://www.anglianpumping.com/product/submersible-pumps/nova-up-300-m-ae-230v-auto
Does that seem appropriate? I don't really know how to compensate for horizontal travel when calculating the necessary head.

Regarding the pipe, I'm assuming black MDPE is the right thing for eventual burial and could be left on the surface in the short term. What sort of diameter should I use? That pump has an outlet diameter of 1 1/4", but that seems pretty large bore. Could I use a smaller and cheaper pipe (22mm?) or would that mess up the manufacturers stats on what the pump can do?

Any specific advice on the above, or thoughts on anything I've missed/dumb mistakes you think I might be about to make with this project are very much appreciated..
irrigation.png

Thanks guys

Attachments

• irrigation.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back