piping sewage uphill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys im new to this so will try to explain the best i can! :)

me and my dad are building a place for me to live down in our shed/annex, there will be a kitchen with just a dishwasher and sink and a bathroom with a shower, sink and toilet.

at first we were going to use saniflow however:

the problem is the path/garden from the house to the shed in downhill (meaning the sewage would have to travel uphill to reach the sewer at the house), it is only 15 metres away but i rang saniflow and they said it couldent be done without a project costing £1800 at least!

after hearing the saniflow horror stories im not really wanting to use them anymore and cant afford it anyway!.

i have looked online and found a sewage sump that stays underround and i assume just lets the sewage and water run into in through a pipe, like in a house . then when the sump fills up the pump inside pumps it towards the house sewer, sounds simple!

the sump pump however had a solids max of 50mm which is big but not enough for the toilet solids,

my question is do i need a grinder/macerator that will grind the sewage up before it gets to the pump? the sump project will only cost about £1000 so alot cheaper and if i could make it work it would be great :mrgreen:

if anyone has any other ideas, tips or warning please let me know as would hate to cock this up

thanks

simon

Sponsored Links
Not something to 'cobble together'. Choose purpose built apparatus for the job, then it'll do what its required to, no need for a seperate macerator.

If there isn't opportunity to use another W.C. should pump fail, then may be wise to look at extra holding capacity in the catchment tank. Sewage can be stored until pump is fixed or the tank can be emptied by external means.

Whats the vertical height between the house and shed?

A Saniflow will pump up to 3m if the pipe is 40mm. Banished from the house?

haha yea dad wants his room back, basically what im wanting to use is especially for sewage, heres a link to what im thinking of using if that helps:

http://www.drainage-systems-online.co.uk/acatalog/Domestic_Sewage_Pumping_Station.html

as i say im thinking of piping everything into it then using the pump to take it away to our sewage pipe,

the uphill height is around 6-8 inch i think my dad told me, so not much, also dont like the noise or unreliability of saniflow so would prefer this if could make it work

saniflow told me it ould not work atall on a gradient (uphill) and it had to be pumped up to the height i wanted it straight from the saniflow then it has to slowly drop down over the space of the garden, which is stupid really i think

any thoughts? :D

Sponsored Links
...after hearing the saniflow horror stories im not really wanting to use them anymore and cant afford it anyway!....
If you can't afford a saniflow, you might as well give up on the whole project as it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

you should have asked building controls when you showed them the plans ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back