Sprung a leak. Help needed please ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone advise on fitting a thermostatic shower head to Plastic pipework.

I have fitted one this week and I think it has been the cause of quite a major leak.

I have used plastic JG Speedfit throughout the whole job (New En Suite). My question is, where the actual head joins the pipe work, should I still use an insert ? The joint is a compression type fitting at this point.

Would this connection be better with a copper pipe ?

Please don't say
" The whole job would be better in copper !!", that is too late now !!

Sponsored Links
The plain insert, not the Superseal one, if using compression.
Superseal on the left, plain on the right.
speedfit_super_insert__23602_thumb.jpg
speedfit_std_insert__63618_thumb.jpg

Thanks Charnwood.

I have been told that you can get metal inserts, to use with compression joints too ?

Sponsored Links
Another option I was considering, was to just use copper for that final (through the wall) bit and onto the shower head ?

So it would go from a JG elbow through the wall and onto the shower head.

Another question, is, should you use PTFE on compression fittings ? and how is it applied properly ? I see some with and some without !!!

Another question, is, should you use PTFE on compression fittings ? and how is it applied properly ? I see some with and some without !!!

if you do a search you will see numerous topics debating ptfe on compression, it's been done to death, but to summarise, a compression shouldn't need ptfe if fitted correctly, but if you do need to use some, it goes on the olive, not the threads.

I prefer to use the stainless steel inserts as they are thinner but they are virtually unobtainable and would be far more expensive.

Tony

Thanks for all the replies and useful suggestions and advice as always on here.

I have now found the root of the problem and sorted it !!

Bit long winded, but here goes: Just incase anyone else is as stoopid as me !!!

I bought a "fast fit" kit for the shower head, which came with two brass fittings to screw to the wall, with a hole for the 15mm pipe to protrude, then place a copper olive over the protruding pipe, then a threaded union over that to complete a compression joint (Roger so far !). the shower head then screws onto the threaded union to complete the fitting (probably pretty standard I imagine).
However !!! The instructions (yes I did read them !!) said, leave at least 5mm of pipe protruding through the brass fitting.
I was using plastic pipe (remember) and in my tiny little mind, thought,
"The insert is about 5mm so I will cut the pipe flush and then the insert will stick out 5mm!!"
DOH !!!!! You can now guess what happened, the olive was thus only gripping the insert and hence the leak !!

I have now fitted a length of copper pipe for this last leg of the pipework and so far so good !!!!!

Next time it is copper all the way.....If Mrs Jones ever lets me loose with the plumbing again !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back