Spur configuration found - is this OK?

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had some issues with dry rot and ceilings down etc I have taken replacing everything slowly to have a good look at the hidden infrastructure (plumbing electrics) so we only do the job once. As part of that I had a look at one spur via a switched FCU, and was surprised by what I found.
I had expected one socket from the spur, but found two doubles connected, both directly from the FCU (see pic). I know it's intrinsically safe as it's protected by a 13A fuse and therefore the 2.5mm cable can't be overloaded even if we were stupid enough to plug in 4 off 3KW heaters, but would it fail regulations?
Spur.jpg

Sponsored Links
...but would it fail regulations?

As the regulations aren't retrospective it doesn't have to comply anyway, although it does.
If you just want to replace any 'damaged' wiring you can do that with little observation to the regulations too, just make sure it's no less safe than when you started :)

just make sure it's no less safe than when you started :)

The caveat about no less compliant appears in the Building Regulations - NOT the Wiring Regulations.

Any work done now must comply with the current (17th) Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations (unless it was designed before the cut-off date for the 16th Edition, in which case it could be constructed to the 16th Edition).

Of course it is unlikely that your alterations were designed that long ago!

Sponsored Links
just make sure it's no less safe than when you started :)

The caveat about no less compliant appears in the Building Regulations - NOT the Wiring Regulations.

Any work done now must comply with the current (17th) Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations (unless it was designed before the cut-off date for the 16th Edition, in which case it could be constructed to the 16th Edition).

Of course it is unlikely that your alterations were designed that long ago!

Yes, but I'm just talking about the simple replacement of damaged cables which it looks like he may be undertaking.
If the wiring to one of those spurs is damaged and he replaces it as is then it doesn't matter which set of regulations it was constructed too :)

But are you saying it doesn't matter which set of regulations the new work complies with?

An interesting discussion, but there's nowt wrong with the cable, FCU or sockets they connect to. I have no intention of touching it unless there is an issue. I am just taking the opportunity of easy access to ensure that thre is nothing dangerous or reaching the end of it's life before restoring all the ceilings etc. I'm happy with the "If it aint broke dont touch it" approach.
I was merely checking that 2 sockets connected directly to a switched FCU was OK - and it would appear the answer is yes.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back