Spur or radial socket and explanati of 13a current

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would appreciate if can anyone help with these couple of electrical queries.

1. Is the following is a spur socket or a radial circuit.

I live in a typical 3 bedroom 1970’s semi. My kitchen sockets are all fed by the standard downstairs 13amp ring-main. However, near the doorway to my utility room, a spur has been taken off the ring main and leads through the wall to feed a double socket in the utility (6m2 floor space).
As this spur leads via a fused connection unit (containing only a 13amp fuse) is this effectively a radial circuit to which I can add further sockets, if I increase the fuse to 20amp?.

2. On a typical 13amp ring-circuit/radial circuit:

Does that figure refer to the maximum current that should be drawn from the circuit at any one time, or can each electrical appliance in use at any one time draw 13amps.

Many thank
Durham2

Sponsored Links
As this spur leads via a fused connection unit (containing only a 13amp fuse) is this effectively a radial circuit to which I can add further sockets
It's a spur.

But as it's a fused one you can add as many sockets as you like.

if I increase the fuse to 20amp?
You can't increase the fuse rating - 13A is the largest available.

On a typical 13amp ring-circuit/radial circuit
There's no such thing.

1) Either a circuit is a ring, or it is a radial.

2) The standard rating for ring finals is 30A or 32A, depending on the type of protective device.

3) 13A is not a standard rating for any protective device available for consumer units.

Does that figure refer to the maximum current that should be drawn from the circuit at any one time,
Clearly the maximum for the circuit is limited by the device in the CU.

or can each electrical appliance in use at any one time draw 13amps.
An appliance connected by a correctly fused BS 1363 plug or a fused connection unit is limited by the rating of the fuse in the plug or the FCU.

Many thanks for your help.

With regards to the second point I raised:
I am trying to determine whether I will overload the -what you have kindly explained is a fused spur, if I added any further sockets to that part of the circuit.
I would like to add further sockets for my PC & peripherals which would draw an additional 8a, plus a fridge freezer which would draw 0.45a, as well as feeding the existing socket used by a washing machine drawing 9.3amps.
A further response would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
8 + 0.45 + 9.3 = 17.75 Amps
Maximum draw from your fused spur = 13 Amps

Can you see a problem?

Ok, I see your point. The previous response confused me a little into thinking I could draw 30a. as there was no such thing as a 13a circuit.

So just to settle my mind, on the fused spur I can only draw upto 13a simultaneously, but on the ringmain (which feeds that spur) I can draw 30a.
Am i right in thinking therefore, that the best solution would be to extend the ring main into the utility room and then I can draw upto 30a in total from that circuit

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back