Spurring off 15a Immersion socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some friends of mine have just bought a brand new house and they want to put a power socket and a light in the loft.
There is no easy access from any of the upstairs sockets as although they are stud walls there are battens going across.
However in the Immersion cupboard there is a switch fused spur on its own dedicated circuit. Could they take a feed from this spur up into the loft to feed a socket then from this socket attach a 3a fused spur for the light?

Thanks in anticipation

Carol.

Sponsored Links
There usually isn't that much headroom on an immersion heater circuit to do what you wish :cry:

Very likely this is what I did to power the TV boosters but for lights why not use lighting circuit that would be much easier?

There may be something which would stop you but as long as you use appropriate cable etc can't see a problem. However if you wanted to do a loft conversion or similar then that's another question.

please don't suggest to use the lighting circuit..
you have no idea what the sockets intended use is..
it could be for a 3KW heater for all you know..

as already said, you don't have much leftover capacity on an immersion heater.

we need to know the use of the loft space, infrequent use for storage and the socket is for a tv amp?
boarded out and used frequently for the model trainset ( friends dad has one in his loft.. )
converted to sleeping accomodation and used all the time?
etc..

Sponsored Links
The OSG (I know, I know, it's not the regs) says that an immersion heater should have its own supply not shared with anything else.

Are you sure you cant spur off one of the bedroom sockets? I've done it before by going up into the loft and drilling down with a long flat bit then you can push the 2.5 down the cavity and pull it through from the socket outlet.

Take the lighting off the last light on a circuit (for ease) as mentioned above.

Some interesting comments thanks. The power is for a booster and I know from this site that you can get round pin plugs and sockets which can be added to the light circuit. I mentioned this and they said they still would like a normal power supply 'just in case'. They won't be converting the loft or anything but who is to say the next owners won't.
From your comments I think trying to get to a socket is the best route and take the loft light from the readily available lighting circuit in the loft.
Thanks

please don't suggest to use the lighting circuit..
you have no idea what the sockets intended use is..
it could be for a 3KW heater for all you know..

as already said, you don't have much leftover capacity on an immersion heater.

we need to know the use of the loft space, infrequent use for storage and the socket is for a tv amp?
boarded out and used frequently for the model trainset ( friends dad has one in his loft.. )
converted to sleeping accomodation and used all the time?
etc..
Sorry may be I did not make myself plane I was referring to the lighting I would not want to put loft lights on a power circuit as I would be worried about lights going off when in loft.

But of course socket should not be supplied from lights and I sorry if I mislead anyone.

no it's me not reading properly again.. seems I skimmed over the "but for the lights" part of that sentence.. I read it as "what i did to power the TV boosters why not use the lighting circuit"..
sorry... :oops: :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back