Spurs off the ring, have I done it wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spurs of a ring

Have I been doing it wrong

Looking at the red book I have.

I have normally spurred of a socket to an FCU

but looking at the book is seems that you can only...

Spur off from a junction box.

Have a FCU connected directly to the ring and spur off that.

The illustration does not show spurring from a socket

So, can you not spur from a socket, or could a socket be classed as a junction box?

Thanks in advance

View media item 14108

Sponsored Links
You can spur from a socket/jb/fcu on the ring to feed a socket/fcu

FCU can be connected from Socket-Outlets or Junction Boxes, as the terminations of the conductors should be accessible for inspection, it makes sense to use the socket rather than the JB as the connection point. As sometimes the JB ends up under floorboards and unaccessible.

shows to the right coming directly from a fused spur. And to left with junction box. What you must remember is 13A sockets are not only used in houses and some of the options shown are used in commercial premises.

I could take a spur to the distribution unit but there is a limit in cable length not shown in the diagram. 434.2.1 means that an unfused spur has a maximum length of 3 meters.

Also note the Appendix 15 is part of the July 2008 Corrigendum.

Sponsored Links
second one down on the left..
spur from a socket..
this can feed one single socket, one double socket OR a FCU.
the FCU can then supply any number of sockets outlets as it limits the current drawn to 13A..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back