Square hole for taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Shanks basin has 1 1/4" square holes for the taps. The taps I am trying to fit have 1 1/4" round bases so I cant get a good seal. Does any one know if I can get a plastic / nylon convertor to a 25mm round hole.

Sponsored Links
I come across these from time to time, most often in schools, church halls etc.

All I do is wind a strip of lead around the tap tail, so that the tail is a sbug fit and centred on the hole, then install the tap, then apply best quality white silicone sealant to any visible corners of the square hole.

This is more of a bodge than I normally like to deploy, but an effective solution pending the day that the client wants to replace the sink.

There are special widgets you might find in a good merchant, but silicone is ultimately the easiest answer. Centreing is important - if you don't have lead about your person, pvc tape will do!

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. Worked a treat, except I used lighting circuit cable (it's what I had) once around the tail was a perfect snug fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back