Fitting new tap handles to old taps. Does an adapter exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some new Armitage Shanks Starlite tap handles which have a star shaped hole in them and I want to use them to replace a very old set of similar looking tap handles.

The old ones have a aquare shaped hole which fits onto a square brass rod on the taps.

Now, I've seen adapters that convert the star shape to fit a round rod, but does an adapter exits to convert them to fit a square rod?

Sponsored Links
Not to my knowledge. :!: You could try emailing Armitage Shanks and see what they say. :idea:
Normally I would be looking at replacing the tap 'guts' or inners with a tap 'conversion kit' available from the DIY sheds

Could you tell me where I can find these tap conversion kits? I've never heard of them before. Is that the correct term for them?

Slugbabydotcom said:
Not to my knowledge. :!: You could try emailing Armitage Shanks and see what they say. :idea:
Normally I would be looking at replacing the tap 'guts' or inners with a tap 'conversion kit' available from the DIY sheds

Tap conversion kits is what I have always seen them advertised as they are available in all the diy sheds, however I have just looked and found this alternative term

Sponsored Links
I had a look in B&Q and Homebase. They had this sort of thing but not that will fit onto the square rod that the old tap handles did. I just cannot believe that a product does not exist to allow new handles to be fitted to this square fitting without replacing the whole tap!

Armitage Shanks don't make such a thing for their own taps either.
Slugbabydotcom said:
Tap conversion kits is what I have always seen them advertised as they are available in all the diy sheds, however I have just looked and found this alternative term

It isn't really an "adaptor" - that's just the way they fit their tap tops!.
As Slug says, bin the tops with the mechanism and replace both - very cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back