Fitting tap revivers/adapters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought some tap revivers from Screwfix for washbasin 1/2" and bath 3/4". Shown as being for BS5412 and BS1010 taps.

The pair for the basin fitted without problem. The valve screwed into the tap without needing to use an adapter which is supplied, I assume the tap is 1/2" BS5412 and that the adapter is only needed if tap is BS1010.

The pair for the bath have the same size thread on the valve as those for the basin but with a larger adapter. Problem is that neither fit the tap, the thread on the valve is too small and that on the adapter is too big.

I'm assuming that the adapter is for a 3/4"BS1010 but that the tap is 3/4"BS5412. Does anyone know if it is possible to get an adapter to fit this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've been caught out with this too - ended up refurbishing the old insert...polish the brass stem, lube the jumper thread with vaseline, new washer and some packed ptfe thread under the gland nut. Sorted! John :)

Thanks Burnerman, thought about reusing the old inserts but the new tops I am using (crosshead type) have a separate shroud which needs a threaded collar on the insert which the old ones don't have.

I not too sure about the names and sizes of the thread but the adapter I need will have an outside thread of approx 25mm diam and a fairly coarse thread (? 3/4 BSP) whereas the one supplied is larger, about 30mm OD and a finer thread. Can anyone tell me the correct names for these threads please.

I believe some tap conversion kits have several adapters including the ones I want, may need to buy complete kit just to get the adapters.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I thought you were just fitting new inserts...anyway, what you are looking for are hexagon brass bushes which have an internal and external thread, as you are aware. Popular sizes are 1/2" x 1/4", 3/4" x 1/2", 1" x 1/2", and 1" x 3/4". Pop down to your local plumbers merchant, or if you have a Toolstation near you, you can get them from there. At the end of the day though, changing the taps is a lot less faff. Good luck with it! Cheers John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back