Squeaking Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently become a home owner, and in our bathroom we've got an extractor fan.

Since we've moved in it's started to squeak.

It automatically comes on whenever the lights are turned on, and periodically throughout the day too.

Whenever the motor starts it's fine for the first few minutes. Then after a few minutes it starts a squeaking sound.

It sounds to me a little like as it warms up and potentially expands, something is starting to rub.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to stop it.

Is this a common problem.

Would adding something like a lubricant or oil stop it squeaking ?

But do I have to be careful if it's moving parts, what if it get's hot (as I presume it does when it's on) is ther a risk it would ignite?

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
To be honest it sound's like it's worn out and out of line due to wear maybe. Spraying it wont help. Is it a new fan ? they are pretty cheap nowdays, buying a known brand can make all the difference.

Is it in the ceiling?
Not all fans are suitable for ceiling mounting and bathroom fitters (Blessem) just fit the cheapest fan regardless of suitability.

In any case as sparky40 says its best to pop a new one in. Make sure its a decent make designed for wall or ceiling. The new Icon fans are pretty sexy.

It is in the ceiling, yes.

I'll take a look at replacing it on the weekend.

thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back