Squeaky Oak floor and glueing of edge boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just laid a solid oak floor (20mm) onto timber battens at a spacing of approximately 12" centre to centre. I was careful to ensure that each board was tight against the next before I secret nailed it. However, despite my best efforts, I find that I have a small number of squeaky boards. My proposed solution to this problem is to dilute some PVA and pour it into the joints where the boards are moving. Does anyone see any issues with this? Also, around the edges of the room, I cut my battens a little short meaning that I can't get a nail/screw into the boards under the location of the skirting board (I don't want any nails/screws to be seen). Again, my proposed solution to this is to glue the last boards down - are there any issues with this? If there are issues then I could just use the skirting board to hold the boards down which it should do if it is adhered to the wall sufficiently. Not sure if it is relevant but the size of the room is approximately 12m x 5m.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back