Squeaky thud in house after new combi boiler installed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently had a new combi boiler put in and a few days since I have noticed a noise that can be described as a squeaky thud, it sounds like some kind of pressure or water release and then this is followed about 5 seconds later by a single shorter knocking thud sound. I live in a upstairs flat and somebody is moving in downstairs soon so I need to get it fixed asap. I plan to tell my landlord tomorrow but I was just wondering what it could be causing this sound.

Some more information,

It happens randomly and not straight after using the tap and it happens when the boiler isn't in use. Its hard to tell where the sound is coming from but it doesn't seem to be located near the boiler, more in the floorboards or walls? So I'm assuming its something to do with the pipes?

The pressure on the boiler is at 1.

I tried turning the stopcock that is located in my bathroom to off but I still hear the sound so turned this back on.

Thank you for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
Water hammer. Shock wave from the operation of a tap usually worst offenders are washing machines which snap shut quickly might be a toilet you used a while ago finishing filling. Even from a tap being turned off in another close flat.
A shock arrestor should sort it many combis have one incorporated but not all get the installer back to sort it.

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore...ng.all/st/or/Potable Water Shock Arrestor.pdf

Could be a radiator TRV also (squeak and chatter/ thud)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back