Squeaky Wall Stringers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.
I have been blighted by squeaky stairs since i moved into my 9 yr old house, I have spent the best part of today dealing with these and can say i have tackled 90% of them.
The squeaks have gone from the treads/risers and now appear to be coming from the stringers, both sides flanked by plasterboard.
I have had a closer look and there is a variable mm gap between both sides and to hide this the builders have nailed on a decorative moulding.
I intent to remove this in order to combat the squeak then replace it when done, the question is , whats the best way to eliminate this problem. I have had two suggestions,
1- slap loads of pva down the gap or
2- slip some expanding foam down to compress the gap
Anyone have any other ideas or tips that have worked

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo sbs

you shouldnt have any gaps when new they should be wedged tight thats where a lot of the strength comes from !!!!!!!!

you can use talk it acts like a lubricant brush it into the areas where the squeeking is

Cheers for that, The actual gap between wall and stringer varies from snug to 8mm, nothing unusual there, seeing as i work within the new build sector.
I think some expanding foam could do the job to give a bit of strength back, here goes i suppose

big-all said:
you can use talk
I think having a chat with your stars to tell them to be quiet is over-rated. You could try some talc though ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back