Squeaky Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m hoping to fix some noisy steps in my newly acquired house prior to fitting new carpets.

I was planning on taking up the treads to glue and screw to the stringer and riser (Access from underneath is not possible), but the skirting is cut around the end of each tread so they won’t move:

View media item 88909
There is a length of beading pinned underneath each tread:

View media item 88910
Underneath this is a small gap between the riser and tread, so screwing through the tread to the riser may not have the desired effect of tightening the join:

View media item 88911
Has anyone cured squeaks on this type of structure?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how you would attach to the stringer with any degree of success, but I'd certainly screw though the tread down onto the riser with some heavy screws, say 60x 5mm, with a pilot hole and countersink in the tread and see if that helps.
John :)

In pic 1. esp. there are tiny holes - are they from previous fixings or could they be woodworm holes?

Get some Polyurethane glue and apply lots of it and quickly refit the beadings that you have taken off
Or you may need to break into the plaster from underneath and redo the glue blocks.
If you are used to handling the cans of foam you can use one of those instead but make sure its one of the ones that doesn't expand up to 30 times more LOL

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how you would attach to the stringer with any degree of success, but I'd certainly screw though the tread down onto the riser with some heavy screws, say 60x 5mm, with a pilot hole and countersink in the tread and see if that helps.

Thanks, I'll give some heavy screws a go.

In pic 1. esp. there are tiny holes - are they from previous fixings or could they be woodworm holes?

I’ve taken up 50 years’ worth of phone wires, cable clips, underlay staples and carpet grippers so hopefully not :cry:. I may obtain some treatment to make sure.

Get some Polyurethane glue and apply lots of it and quickly refit the beadings that you have taken off
Or you may need to break into the plaster from underneath and redo the glue blocks.
If you are used to handling the cans of foam you can use one of those instead but make sure its one of the ones that doesn't expand up to 30 times more LOL

Thanks, I’ll probably try a combination of glue, screws and the beading. If it doesn’t work then yes I can rip out the plaster at a more leisurely pace after the carpet has gone down.

Is underneath access totally impossible, or is it just a decoration issue?
It's probably an idea to get the plaster sorted before the new carpet, if you decide on that route.

Is underneath access totally impossible, or is it just a decoration issue?
It's probably an idea to get the plaster sorted before the new carpet, if you decide on that route.

Underneath is shut away in a cupboard so access is very possible (through pasterboard) and decoration is not an issue. The cupboard will not be carpeted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back