squeeking floor in new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my floor on the ground floor in a new build house is squeeking really badly.
its a floating floor (tongue and groove boards i beleive, in big sheets laid across the whole floor), in which underneath is insulation, and then a concrete floor. i cant screw it down because theres nothing to screw into.
i cant remove the boards because they run underneath partitions etc. how can i strengthen the floor to reduce the squeeking?

will putting 6mm plywood over the top of the floor sort this out and screwing it in?

Sponsored Links
There are trillions of posts on this forum about squeaky chipboard flooring.

The people that install this rubbish want flogging.

:idea: Some say try using talc on the joints. :idea:

the concrete base its laid over is uneven, needs to be taken back up and laid properly.

Dont think i have seen one of these floating systems that has been laid properly yet. There was the one site i was on where they got it so wrong the floor did massive structual damage to 5 house in a row!

You would think that builders would know what to do by now but they dont! why they install chipboard in the first place i dont know.

6mm plywood will not help you out either. The only chance you have is a thick plywood screwed all over but this will raise floor height.

Get the builders back in, they will stick large screws through the flooring into the concrete base underneath. Make sure you get some sort of warranty in writing of them that this is o,k!

or if you have not moved in yet they need to be ripping the stuff back up!

Sponsored Links
ive had a closer look at the floor. its a concrete floor at the bottom, then on top of it is like a super hard foam insulated type matresss. its quite hard when pressed on. then over the top of this is the floating t&g chipboard.
there are absolutley no joists on the ground floor, hence why the floor is squeeking.
when i walk over the floor, u can see where the floor slightly bounces then raises back up causing the squeek. its really annoying.

dnt knw wot i can do? as i cant screw into the floor as no joists. rang the NHBC up but they told me nothign they can do about the squeeking.

any more advice?

thats the floor i was talking about. To screw it down you have use 8 inch screw to go through the chipboard and poly all the way down ito the concrete base under it.

Your not supposed to do this as the floor is designed to be floating.

Like i said tho, the concrete under the flooring that the poly is sitting on is uneven. It can also be caused by lack of expansion. But this is normaly when the floor is trying to lift.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back