stabilising a sloping garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part of my garden is on a steep slope ( 1 in 3). I have been advised to use netting to prevent slippage.

Where can I get info on how to do this and where to buy net and 'nails'?

Sponsored Links
has it slipped so far?

why not (if possible, and if it is that steep) make it into terraces

the "nails" would need to be very long so that
a) they do not get "washed away"
b) they can take the strain

I have seen on the steep side of roads steel nets used, but it looks none too nice

just a thought how about turf the whole lot?

We have a similar problem at the school where I work. A banking, "landscaped" a few years ago, is now slipping into the Tennis Court, bit by bit.

We have had a fresh landscaper in for his opinion, turns out the stone they took out, which new adorns my 20' high X 40-100' rockeries, to keep the rest of the slopes in place, was there to stabalise the bankings.

Now, thanks to one firm! We have to look at either having the banking dug out to a depth of 30 foot, and new large boulders, then smaller boulders, then small boulders put in place, before the banking is re-turfed, OR, have gabian's (?) put in place to a depth of three filled with rubble and faced with cobbles.

Mega bucks!

gabian's

they must be the name of the wire "cages" (filed with rocks) that i see at some roadsides, just at the bottom of some steep hills

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
gabian's

they must be the name of the wire "cages" (filed with rocks) that i see at some roadsides, just at the bottom of some steep hills

Yep, that's the stuff, I'm pretty confident I got the name right from the guy, at the third telling! :LOL:

Thanks for interest

More detail-

Bank does not seem to have moved so far. It has always been grassed with course grasses which have presumably helped to stabilise.

However cutting is a pain in the neck.( and legs and back)

We explored terracing but it seems too big a job for DIY and I have quote of £5K. As we might sell this bit of land for building in 10 yrs this is expensive

Current plan is to reseed as meadow with grass and wild flowers and only cut once a year. However it seems this will only work if the grass is not too 'aggressive' which seems to mean that it will have smaller root system and provide less support than present course grass.

A friend believes that it is possible to somehow lay a fine plastic mesh a few mm. under the surface before reseeding to provide additional support. He believes it is a well known technique but I have faied to find any info from web search.

Our local waterpark has this on a hill going down to the waters edge.
it is a black in colour, plastic/mesh material. They rolled it on the surface and let the grass grow through it.

Perhaps a phone call to you local council, parks and gardens dept may help with the name of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back