Stacks removed but gallows and gathered flue remain in loft, can it be removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an end terrace that had chimneys removed at some point in history, then at a later time but still some years ago, the stacks were removed but the gallows and most of the gathered flue was left in the loft space. The top 4 or 5 course on the remaining flue are really unstable, the mortar has completely failed and the bricks can just be lifted off without even a tap.

If it's removed it will leave about 2mtr wide central section of gable end wall from cieling joist level to rige as a single skin, what kind of support will that need - will the centre wall that seperated the two middle flues be sufficient support for this?

If it matters the roof type is purlin with ceiling joists resting on internal spine wall, no ties or struts.

Sponsored Links
So, chimney breasts removed up to loft and stacks removed below roof line.

Remove it, if it's just floating on a gallows bracket then it's not providing much stiffness. Also, what happened below that level, I'm guessing it was just stripped back to single skin as well.

So, chimney breasts removed up to loft and stacks removed below roof line.

Remove it, if it's just floating on a gallows bracket then it's not providing much stiffness. Also, what happened below that level, I'm guessing it was just stripped back to single skin as well.

Thanks for reply.

From what I can tell the walls below were bricked up with the bricks from the removed breast and there is also the long L shaped galv ties about 1mtr long put in on 1st floor joists and cieling joists, but there are no long ties from the remnants of the chimney onto the roof rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back