supporting knocked out chimney stacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a 1930's mid terraced house, the stacks were knocked out by the previous owners, but the support for the remaining stack on the party wall ain't great, basically two stacks with 2 flues in rise up the loft wall, then they angle across to meet and create a single 4 pot stack (8 pot including the neighbours half). Will gallows brackets and prestressed concrete lintels (one for each stack) be acceptable? The stack above the roof has been lowered on both sides and only 4 courses project above the ridge tiles

Sponsored Links
The problem here is that gallows brackets are not universally accepted by building inspectors. Much depends on how much brickwork remains and the condition of that brickwork.
Safest way (though obviously more trouble) is to try and put 2 steel beams across from front to back wall.

Well it hasn't fallen down has it - so why not?

These things dont' fall down because of the corbelling effect of the brickwork. The OPs chimney will probably still be there in 100 years.
But building inspectors don't live on planet earth - that's the problem.

Sponsored Links
Yes I know how they are built - so just do as he suggests and forget about it. Why get the authorities involved?

Yes I know how they are built - so just do as he suggests and forget about it. Why get the authorities involved?

Agree 100% - no point in opening a can of worms if it's not necessary.
But OP had said he'd moved in. and I assumed it was something he had to attend to, perhaps as a condition of a mortgage?

Thanks for the replies lads, to be honest, the only reason I'm doing it is because when I want to sell the house I'm bound to come unstuck from the buyer's solicitor or a surveyor etc

My real question is, is it better to use gallows brackets and concrete lintols or gallows brackets 5mm plate and angle iron between the brackets? the chimney stack stands 12" forward of the wall

My real question is, is it better to use gallows brackets and concrete lintols or gallows brackets 5mm plate and angle iron between the brackets? the chimney stack stands 12" forward of the wall

Personally, I'd use brackets with steel plate and angle rather than the concrete beam.
The steel plate will give complete support to any odd loose bricks, while concrete lintels, particularly the 65mm ones, can be unreliable and crack easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back