Part-chimney breast removal support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to completely remove the chimney stack that my neighbour and I share but this may not be possible as he still uses a functioning solid fuel aga (so dependent on whether he decides to change this). If the Aga stays he is OK with me to remove internally in my house provided the support that goes in is strong enough for the stack. There is a fair amount of stack above roof height. I know gallows brackets are an option but I wondered if there are other options as to have gallows bracket afair amount on stack will have to stay inside.

Hope that all make sense. I don't plan to carry out any of this myself but I would like to be able to chat to the builders who I get round to quote with some understanding of possibilities.

Many thanks.
x

Sponsored Links
Please remember that the chimney stack is not just there to take fumes and smoke from a fire.

It also there to make the property walls stable.

Have you had anyone in to check ?

The stack is the bit above the roof, and the bit inside is the brest.

When you say "... afair amount on stack will have to stay inside" do you mean inside the rooms, or inside the loft?

I can't see a problem with it remaining in the loft, in which case brackets are fine. In any case there has to be some of the brest remaining below the roof.

The alternative is some sort of beam arrangement spanning within the floor or ceiling void.

And you need to get this designed properly, as you don't want it being blown over due to the chimney being unbalanced when you remove the brest on your half

The main problem is that the stack is quite high and my understanding is that the amount remaining below the roof must be of the same or greater in height. This will take the remaining breast down further than the loft (oh, if only it were that simple) into the bathroom. I can live with this but I need to get some idea of how to support such a hefty weight.

The beam idea makes sense as the joists run the sensible direction to support the stack - I am just fretting a lot now about cost!!!!

Sponsored Links
Its not so much about the weight, as the major part of the load is on the party wall, and the neighbouring brest.

Its more to do with balancing the remaining stack.

I dare say that many brests could be removed and the remainder could just be corbelled out with no additional supports. But there are several factors to consider, so its best to play safe.

Make sure the neighbour knows what is going on - just in case he does his own removal in the future. Also you should go through building control - which will again be a safeguard if the neighbours do future alterations.

And the Party Wall Act makes this notifiable work in the London area, but elsewhere there are no penalties on you if you don't notify and avoid the expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back