Stain Block .. Bleed Through on old Furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am painting an old mahogany chest of drawers and opted for a light colour to the drawer fronts.

Unfortunately there are stains showing through the paint. After doing som internet research I now realise these are bleed-through marks. I should have sealed the wood before chalk painting with a light colour.

On the internet Zinsser BIN shellac based primer is suggested, even at this stage to overpaint the stained paint.

In my town there is only a small decorating shop which doesn't stock BIN. They are actually closing down so suggested I try the Thompsons one coat damp seal paint (see link below)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/thompsons-one-coat-damp-seal-white-750ml/38631

As they are closing their paint has been reduced, so a small tin would cost about £5 which would be ideal .. and much cheaper than BIN ALONG AS IT WILL WORK

Has anybody here used this product to control bleed through ?

Did it work ?

thanks !

Sponsored Links
Stick with the BIN it will seal damp, resin and many other stains touch dry in 15 minutes.
One designed to block damp stains may well fail with other types of stain.
BIN is shellac based so works well on knots as well, wash up brushes with methylated spirit.
Also available in spray cans, have a look on line plenty available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back