Stain, Preserver, Decking Oil. Rearrange in correct order if necessary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 10 year old decking is tired and several of the pine scaffold boards I used are rotten in parts and need replacing. I want to stain some of the new ones and internally have used a food dye/water mix then oil. On the decking boards I have used the same and then decking oil. I have also used Mann's wood stain. I don't even think I used wood preserver in my previous ignorance

With the new ones I don't want to make any mistakes so will obviously use wood preserver but I am not sure of the order or even if there is a better stain to use than food dye and if there are other wood stains to enhance or change the colour of the pine o say oak or ash.

Sponsored Links
I think you mean wood dye, which is not the same as stain.

I recommend spirit-based dyes. There are several, such as Blackfriars. They do not fade in sunlight as vegetable dyes will.

Wood dyes are just various combinations of brown, red, yellow and black. You can mix your own variations, within the same brand. I prefer to vary the colour slightly on different boards for a more natural effect.

Colron now make water-based "refined " dyes that are nowhere near as good.

I also prefer spirit based wood preserver. These will wash the dyes out, so preserve first, then dye.

Oil is not damp proof and you may get black or blue fungal stain under it. I find a dark dye hides it.

You can bleach out fungal stains by sanding clean and using oxalic acid.

I find decking oil very durable. I also use boiled linseed oil, I like the smell. Apply multiple thin coats, wipe off any excess after a few minutes or it will oxidise into soft, sticky gum varnish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back