Stained woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a house that has a large quantity of dark stained wood, think mahogany type colour. This includes built-in storage cupboards, panelling, skirting, internal downstairs doors etc etc. I don't mind it as it is and would certainly not want to rip it all out (the prvious owner spent £34k on having it all done :eek: , I've got the invoice) but it would be good if I could lighten it up, maybe to an oak colour. Any ideas if this would even be something worth attempting, and if so, what sort of products would I use?

Many Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
your choices are

to try and remove the stain [extremly time consuming and possibly wont work]
or
introduce a lighter colour paint and cover with a grain effect finnish[yuuukkk]

or
live with the wood and try and lighten up the room by introducing brighter colours [creams whites very light colours] where ever possible and practicle with maybe darker bands [dado/ picture rail and or skirting ] to tie the look together !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back