Staining Oak Doors to Match Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this isnt in the correct forum area, wasnt quite sure which category this fell under.

Ive recently purchased floor oak veneered doors from Wickes:

which I would like to stain to match the flooring in my hallway.

The flooring I have is rather dark (see below):

Can anyone recommend an appropriate stain (and process) to match these up as close as possible?

Sponsored Links
For matching in the doors to the floor colour, best to start by giving the doors a light sanding with a 150 to 180 grit paper to remove all the odd nibs and any little splinters as they are new doors. Next use a water based wood stain in a colour that is a near match to the floor colour, medium or dark oak perhaps. These water based stains can be mixed together or lightly thinned with water until you get the right colour. I apply with a cloth and a small 1/2 inch brush for round the mouldings. Give a light sanding between coats as the grain will raise and you may need to give the doors a couple of coats to get it to the right colour of the floor. If you are happy the colour is a near match, do a test area if you have time, or give the door, a first coat of a water based 'clear' varnish, matt or satin, thinned with a little water for the first coat. Give this first coat a quick sand with fine paper, then if you like the overall effect add a couple more coats of varnish, 3 should normally do it, the satin seems to be the best finish these days. It is worth the time and effort to get the best finish.
Avoid the quick dry coloured varnish, these just add a coloured 'skin' on top of the wood and look terrible as a finish.

I know it is not a quick process but the job will always look better if you start by fitting the door to the hole so to speak, i keep 6 or 8 very thin wedges in the tool bag to set the door in just the right place, trimming with the plane until the door fit is just right.
Cut and fit all the hinges then hang the door, add the door lock and keep, then add the handles. I then remove all the hardware back off the door and give a light sand to all the hinge cuts and door handle screw holes.
You can then start staining the door knowing that it all fits in place.

With the door off, lay it flat, I use 2 folding trestles, but I have also used milk crates, plastic storeage boxes or even two dining chairs end on at a push, covered with a sheet of course!

With the door flat it does make it easier to see all the panels in a good light and with using water stain rather than spirit stain the whole process does not take too long to dry. Once you are happy with the colour match and perhaps done a test area of varnish, you can then add the hardware back on, rehang the door and give the all varnish coats with the door back in place but you can leave off the lock and handles until all coats are finished.
Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your advice, all very detailed and concise. Im a bit of a DIY novice so my joiner friend will be hanging the doors for me, however I will see what I can do in terms of getting them stained prior to this

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back