Stainless chimney flue linner

Sponsored Links
So the stove has been fitted for 30 yrs with no problems.
WTF are you lining it ? :confused:

That is conclusion I am coming to! Hence why now asking around.

As I said I am doing some work up there, and it was more piece of mind.

I have some scaffolding up for another job, so they said they will add on the chimney for £320+vat. Stand alone it would be about £1000, which compares to other chimney scaffold quotes I have had.

So I think just a good tidy up and re point of the stack. And regular sweeps, but we only occasional use the chimney away.

Thanks to those with helpful advice and comments.

If you fit a new liner, it must be installed, tested & certified compliant by a HETAS installer or notified to LABC, inspected & possibly tested with the BI as witness in order to obtain a compliance certificate. No certificate may lead to difficulties when you come to sell your property & if you cannot produce one in the event of an insurance claim, your insurance company will probably invalidate your policy & reject any claim.

If the flue off the stove is 7" then it has to be 7" liner, no if's, no but's, no maybe's.
As for grade of liner, go for the best, 904/904.
316/316 is for smokeless fuels and will burn thru in no time if your burning wood.
904/316 is better for wood, but as its in an existing chimney which will have acidic deposits from previous fires this too will probably burn thru from the outside in.

As for having 2 HETAS guys coming out quoting you must use a 6" liner, then I would actually question thier experience.

Dont forget as you are more or less re-installing the appliance it should comply with current regulations so you need to take ventilation into account, the hearth, a co alarm and also registering the flue and/or stove installation with LABC.

Sponsored Links
If the flue off the stove is 7" then it has to be 7" liner, no if's, no but's, no maybe's.
As for grade of liner, go for the best, 904/904.
316/316 is for smokeless fuels and will burn thru in no time if your burning wood.
904/316 is better for wood, but as its in an existing chimney which will have acidic deposits from previous fires this too will probably burn thru from the outside in.

As for having 2 HETAS guys coming out quoting you must use a 6" liner, then I would actually question thier experience.

Dont forget as you are more or less re-installing the appliance it should comply with current regulations so you need to take ventilation into account, the hearth, a co alarm and also registering the flue and/or stove installation with LABC.

Thanks very much Tom, so sound advice.

You make good sense ref the 904/904, as I was only considering what was burning inside, not the effects of old deposits on the outside.

I will look at the 7" and if it will either pass down through the steel section, or if I am going to have to break into the chimney section and remove the steel pipes to get the &2 ss liner through.

One point though, all the sites I have been on say 904/904 is for smokeless fuels, and 316 is for wood?

We are already covered with CO alarm and ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back