Stainless steel / DS40 / Suphuric or Nitric acid

Hullo Nige, hope you're still letting the good times roll :)

Nige I was avoiding HCl because it's not good for stainless steel.

In case it's of interest to anyone, FX2 did the business. The data sheet says it has >34% Phosphoric Acid and some Citric Acid. I put 1.25 litres of FX2 into 5 litres of water, and there was about 1 litre of plain water (left over from flushing) still in the coil, so I reckon the net concentration was about 7% Phosphoric. I also like the fact that it's a liquid, so no powder to have to dissolve and dust to have to avoid inhaling.

After 24 hours of this solution, at about 70 deg C, the flow rate through the coil more than doubled, so now it's usable again and I have one customer who's happy not to be needing a new cylinder.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Oh - one more thing; I found a supplier of Nitric Acid and completed their obligatory declaration form so that I can order it, just in case it was needed. I haven't noticed any police helicopters overhead, but I'm not wearing my backpack anymore....

Sponsored Links
The main problem of nitric acid in plumbing is its action on copper ( and fingers ). The main advantage is that all (?) nitrates are soluble.

I remember an interesting effect I obtained at school out of the lab by adding nitric acid to toluene. Not recommending that to anyone.

For some reason the teacher let me have keys to the chem lab.

Tony

Sponsored Links
FX2 is brilliant. Its my plate HEX cleaner of choice(both sides). If i cant clean something with it, its time to replace!

When I was on work experience we used 91% sulphuric acid (one-shot drain cleaner) to clean stainless steel plate HE's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back