Stainless steel rust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a serious rust problem with my stainless steel cooker hood. Around 90% of my cooker hood surface is stainless steel.

At first, about half of the cooker hood becomes rusty, because of the wrong cleaning product. I then cleaned the rust a few times, but the rust still came back. I heard it should recover itself after cleaning but it is not the case here.
Slowly the whole cooker hood is rusty. I would say about 80% has rust! Recently I cleaned it using organic cleaner - vinegar and baking soda. It only last 2 weeks before it gets rusty again. I think it's getting worse!

What can I do to recover my cooker hood?

Sponsored Links
After cleaning it, are you applying some stainless steel oil? That should help, but I have found once you have damaged the surface, it's never the same :(

why did you decide to use acid (vinegar) on it? What other products have you used?

use a green nylon scourer and washing up liquid, wipe with a clean damp cloth.

Only use the scourer in the direction of the brushing, never in circles.

Sorry but your "stainless steel" cooker hood must have been made from a poor quality stainless.
Look at your sink, that doesn't rust.

Sponsored Links
As above....its the poorest quality possible with minimum chromium.
Test it with a magnet to tell.
I doubt if you'll recover this one too well, unfortunately.
John :)

Try baby oil, apply and buff it off, I kid you not! :D

Mrs footprints used it on ours as you buff it off there is little residue left.
Sadly she only used it on the stainless steel ;)

Ok, I have used carrying oit (for massage usually). The cooker hood gains its shine after application. I will see how long it last. I heard someone said use car wax. If oil failed I will try car wax and see how long it will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back