Stains, oils, waxes etc for interior doors??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First post on this forum, hope you can help.

Getting to the end of a big project (few) and have 8 brand new doors to finish.

5 a clear pine and 3 are oak (Howdens). We want to finish with a nice natural antique pine type of colour on all the doors but don't know which products are best. Ideally it needs to be fairly quick and easy to apply. Its also important that we get a good hard protective finish as we have cats who love to get their claws in narural wood. We basically like the look of a waxed door (don't like a heavy varnish/glossy look) but are concerned the finish isn't tough enough.

Any ideas what might fit the bill?

Thanks,

Tim

Sponsored Links
In my opinion you'll need something more durable than an wax.

I'd recommend you apply a coat of waterbased stain and then overcoat it with a waterbased lacquer in a Matt finish. The concentration of stain can be adjusted by either thinning it with water to make it lighter or applying more coats to make it darker. Ideally you want a waterbased stain that has a binder through it as this will prevent bleeding occuring when you apply the clear topcoat.

The topcoat lacquer is generally applied to floors so this highlights the durability of the product. Also if you source a matt finish you will be very hapopy with the appearance.

If you need suggestions as to where you can source these products please give me a shout.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back