Stair advise anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open stairway which is currently carpeted with ugly burber. I hate carpet and want to change it. I have brown tile downstairs and want something to compliment it, but I cant find any advise on what I can put on the stairway. I can not find directions on laminate flooring or tile? Can I put those on my stairs? Anyone have any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
unless you live alone and all your neighbours are deaf, a hard surface is not desirable on stairs; plus you would slip and fall down more often. How would you feel about sheet rubber?

mcwilhite said:
I can not find directions on laminate flooring or tile?
Have a read here Doh, just read you have an open stairway :oops: I suppose it can still be done though
DSCN1631.JPG

Sponsored Links
I put some laminate down om my stairs a few weeks back. I didn't have a lot of choice really - we have tiles downstairs and we were putting laminate down upstairs, so to just have carpet on the stairs only would have looked daft.
I cut the bullnose off the stairs and had some oak stair nosings made for about £80 which were glued and nailed down (they're flush with the laminate on the treads, unlike the picture above). The laminate was stuck down with gripfill.
Obviously it's noiser than carpet but it's not that bad. They are not slippy at all either.

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

hi i looked at the edging for your stairs, i have just remove a wall between 2 rooms only to discover one was slightly higher, but the lower had the origional parquet down wich i would not take up so i bought engineered wood and am left with a step about 2.5 inches high between the rooms its about 7 and half foot long i want to edge it as you would a stair,i just saw the edging pictures ion those stairs and wondered how i could get some made or does anyone have any other ideas!! help!

I got the king street department of http://www.cwberry.com/ to do the oak nosings. If you can come up with a design that will do the job, they'll do their best to make it for you. There'll be someone in your town that'll do the same (it's just a matter of asking at a local builders merchants) also. Bear in mind that most of the cost is labour so even if you want a little job making it'll be expensive. 13 oak nosings cost me about £80.
I was well pleased with them though.

2.5mm ain't much - is there nothing else you can think of? Or can you post a pic so I/we can get a better feel for what you want?

that was so quick!! well i will take a pic tomorrow and post it! i was going to just get apiece of angled planed timber and stain it to match, sort of a corner square piece that they sell in diy shops but i am worried about the strength of it!
thanks again so much!
i ;)

the step shows buy the drink worked because my step was almost cured! only almost!
i will try to dig my camera out tomorrow, i am off to scotland for a week then so if not will do later!
i :LOL:

masona said:
mcwilhite said:
I can not find directions on laminate flooring or tile?
Have a read here Doh, just read you have an open stairway :oops: I suppose it can still be done though
DSCN1631.JPG

hi guys im no flooring expert but the company i work for manufactures paper and vinyl wrapped mouldings like the ones pictured above used on the edge of the stairs.

The only advice i can give you is dont use these on the stairs for the following reasons, paper is only used for decorative reasons ie kitchen cornice and pelmet, plinths, skirting boards, bedroom doors etc.

if you think about when you walk down the stairs you always use the edge to tread on. With a paper wrapped moulding i would give you 18 months max before it is knackered an once its knackered there is nothing really you can do with it.

To put it into persective, imagine wrapping a peice of a4 printer paper around some mdf, putting on your stairs and walking on it twice a day for 2 years.

The best solution is gcols and although the wood will wear, it will be a lot, lot slower than paper and also if is does wear a bit then you can always re varnish and sand, etc. some people will like the wear as it can add character.

If you need anymore help let me know

andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back