Stair Nosing

JDP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am finishing my basement stairs. They ultimately will be carpeted. I have attached 3/4 particle board to serve as risers. I want to now put on stair nosing for appearance and softening of the step.

The nosing I have purchased is 1 3/4 inch wide, no grooves, just an enlongated half round is the best I can describe it.

I intend to use a construction adhesive and then nail them. The questions are these:

Would a 2 1/4 inch finishing nail be sufficient?

How far to space the nails?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally i would screw the nosings on using 2 1/2 inch no8 or 10 screws with a bead of adhesive.Assuming your stairs are something like 36" wide i would fix 3 screws in each nosing,1 1/4 in from each end and then one in the centre of nosing.Make sure you pre-drill and countersink to receive the screw otherwise the nosing will probably split.

Its been quite some time since i had to revert to using inches

The stairs are about 41 wide. I had thought about screwing them, especially since I don't have a nail gun and the nails are just not going in straight - BUT - I do have a wonderful cordless screwdriver/drill.

Thanks, glad I'm on the right path.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back