Stair nosing?

nod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I am a newbie to this forum. I hope you can help.

I live in a very old house and we are at present redecoratring our hallway and stairs. 50% of the stair nosings are damaged from years of wear, the treads are in good condition. We are going to cover the stairs with carpet.

I have seen a product somewhere, which is an aluminium extrusion which covers the existing nosing. It has a flat piece which you fix to the riser and from that it has rounded piece which wraps around the nosing. Does anyone know this product and where it can be purchased.

Or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks

Nod

Sponsored Links
I don't know if they'll be able to help, but I bought a lot of flooring/carpet metals on the internet via a company called Stair Crazy. They seemed to have just about everything one might need when it comes to stairing and you can chat your requirements through with them on the phone. Good luck!

See here for repairs.

The only one I've seen for covering the nosing are for laminated flooring.
I have got the website if you need it, got to rush out!

Thanks Susie, I will check the company out.

Masona, thank-you. That is a simple and doable repair.

Nod

Sponsored Links
Hi nod,
The aluminium nosings your talking about are produced by a few manufacturers including Gradus, Ferodo, Quantum and Morley Metals. They are available from any commercial flooring contractor of Flooring Distributor.
The problem is that they are finished products intended to be walked on and are expensive, a typical slimline nosing will cost roughly £10 per lineal metre...which probably means £10 per step!
I suppose they would re-enforce and tidy up your damaged stairs, but your best option might be to check around some of your local flooring contractors to see if they have any old, salvaged nosings. Old nosings are always being ripped up from stairs and I know that some bigger contractors sometimes keep them aside to take to the scrap merchants from time to time.
Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back