stair rods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped my stair case back to wood and stained it. I'm putting a runner down it and my wife wants stair rods.

Stair rods? ok fine, go to a shop and the stair rods we like are solid, made to measure and also £40 each.

Now, I can afford to pay for them but my question is: what's the difference from those nice stair rods in the shop as opposed to the one i can buy on ebay? Presumably the ones on ebay are chinese made and perhaps hollow tubes rather than solid but given they're for aesthetic purposes anyway, does it matter?

Sponsored Links
If they are hollow tubes and you want solid, you can always shove a steel rod up the tube.

At one time my parents used a folding edge clip rather than an actual rod to hold the carpet in position; in effect the rod was replaced by an edge clamp. Something like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-ANTIQU..._Antiques_Architecural_RL&hash=item3cde1d2b02

Perhaps not as nice as rods but good enough to hold the carpet in place.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If they are hollow tubes and you want solid, you can always shove a steel rod up the tube.

At one time my parents used a folding edge clip rather than an actual rod to hold the carpet in position; in effect the rod was replaced by an edge clamp. Something like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-ANTIQU..._Antiques_Architecural_RL&hash=item3cde1d2b02

thanks jack, but i wife's looking for full on stair rods.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

By coincidence my parents had those as well, but they don't hold the carpet as firmly as rods. After time, the carpet tends to 'pull' in the middle of the tread, where it isn't restrained by the clamps.

Sponsored Links
i thought that a fitter would tack it down the carpet anyway? the rods are just aesthetic these days i thought.

The carpet should be fitted on gripper and underlay, nowadays the rods are purely decorative and will fit straight over the top.

There is a massive difference in quality and finish between hollow and solid rods. Also, the soild rods will be made to your sizes, the hollow rods will be universal and you cut them down with a hacksaw.

The Hollow rods will mark, dent and scratch far easier than the solid rods, also, you will have far more choice regarding finish and diameter with solid rods.

Remember to order runner fixings when you buy the rods, these will set the rods off the stairs themselves and sit across the carpet correctly, if you have turning stairs, you would be better off having the carpet fitted, then measure the rods seperately as it's possible that to get the carpet looking right, the runner may vary in width on these stairs.

If I was buying rods, I'd get solid every time, they are a much nicer product than the hollow versions, even those made by known brands.

Stair rods, now that takes me back, but they can last a lifetime, so the carpet needs to be good as well. But I've got to say, I've seen full sets of thirteen, nice too, for as little as £ 64 - 67, on e bay. Might not be an exact match to the one your wives fallen for but worth a look I would say...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back