Stair treads & risers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me where I can get stair treads & risers. I have checked the usual diy stores but none seem to stock them. :confused:
Also could anyone give me any tips on how best to fit them & remove the existing. :oops:

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it's for inside then you could cut suitable timber yourself, make sure they are screwed down properly to stop squeaking!

It might be easier to remove the carpet (if any) and copy the old treads and risers for timber thickness and size.

The house is about 90 yrs old and after removing the stairs carpet I found many are cracked and splintered badly, so I want to remove them and replace with new.
What size/type of timber is usually used when constructing stairs?? :oops:

Sponsored Links
gme106 said:
What size/type of timber is usually used when constructing stairs?? :oops:

They come in all difference sizes as the treads/risers are difference in minimum to maximum height/width/thickness.

You would be better off if you can take out a tread for pattern.Not sure what type of staircase you've got,normally a glued bock under the treads & riser to be removed with hammer & sharp chisel and the wedges on each side which wedge the treads/risers tightly into the slot of the string.But remember to put in a temporary step in where the missing tread is for safely.

Then take the pattern tread/riser to your local joinery shop for exactly the same size for them to put a bullnose + groove in one long length,then cut off the lenght to the size you want when fitting them.When fitting them always put the tread in first at the bottom then riser which will push the tread tightly into the slot,then wedge in on the riser side first and so on.The most popular timber for stairs is parana pine if you're going to varnish it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back