Staircase issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a new wooden staircase installed about a year back and this was then painted. The solid wall below the staircase landing has been plasterboarded and then was also skimmed and painted.

I have now noticed that the staircase has developed cracks mostly along one of the sides where it attaches to another wood panel. The plaster in the wall below the landing has also developed a vertical crack. Please see pics. I have placed a 2p coin to give an indication of the size of the crack.

I am not too sure whether these can naturally be expected from movements especially as the staircase is new, or something I should be a bit worried about.

Could it be that the staircase was incorrectly installed and the weight on the landing has caused the wall crack to appear?

Does anyone have any suggestions or advise? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They don't look too bad in the photos. I'd hazard a guess that the timber in the stair stringers wasn't as dry as the house and that it has gradually dried out to the point at which it is in equilibrium with its' environment (so probably a drop from 10 to 12% moisture content to about 8% or even lower in a centrally heated house). Hence a few millimetres shrinkage. This is normal and the solution is simply to caulk the gaps between the timber and the wall with decorators caulk and (if required) paint.

I assume that everything else is tight

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back