Advise please... non-secure staircase ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly... thanks for any advice I'm about to receive.

We've been living in our new build for over a year now and some big cracks have just appeared on our stairs (literally in the last month).

Our home was built late 2012 and has been heated since then (I've seen the previous gas bill). We've had no snow or flooding and our house temp has been pretty constant.

At the base of our stairs the cracks are almost invisible but as you reach the top theirs a crack in the dry wall about 3cm above the staircase string that's more pre-nounced in the corner.
Where the staircase is secured to the upper floor it has pulled away about 6mm and directly below where it is against a wall there appears to be stress fractures forming as well as a crack between the staircase and wall that gets thinner as it moves down. All of the panel parts of the staircase have also developed small cracks around the seals.

The drywall where the window is is also begining to crack following the window ledge seam.

This doesn't seem like settlement to me... the rest of the house seems perfect.

To me it seems that the staircase hasn't been adequately secured.

Your advice would be appreciated.

(Please find some images below)
Staircase layout
Internal wall adjacent/support staircase downstairs
Longer view of above
Upper corner of staircase
Staircase joins upstairs landing

Sponsored Links
1. check the outside wall surface for any distortion or cracks.

2. check the landing at the head of the stairs both ways for level - have any boards been disturbed? Look at the ceiling above the stairwell? Does the landing creak?

3. check the floor at the foot of the stairs for any uneveness.

4.Examine all door heads and window heads on that side of the house for levelness.

5. determine what construction the walls surrounding, and below the stair well are made of eg. block, dot & dab or stud?

6. for the movement to be only one month old is significant but not alarming. You will have to get a joiner or even a structural engineer to have a look - do it this week.
Ask neighbour's if they've experienced anything similar?

Can't comment on the movement, but do you have any guarantee with the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back