Insulation to party wall with staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm planning to do a loft conversion with staircase positioned on the party wall. The neighbour's loft has not been converted / adapted and is an uheated space. My new stairs to the loft would run along the party wall above the existing staircase below. I think I need thermal insulation to the party wall at the loft level, but not sure how it should work with the staircase. I'm thinking about using Kingspan insulated plasterboard on dabs or battens. The thing is the insulation will then narrow the staircase at the level of the loft floor, so will create a step in the wall, going into the staircase width. Is that a standard solution? Or should I extend the insulation, or just plasterboard on battens down to the steps? Or should I make the whole staircase to the loft narrower and then - how narrow can it be? Would 600mm, or slightly above that width be okay? Thanks in advance!
Mich

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
600mm is OK for a loft conversion Regulations wise but is quite narrow and may restrict access for furniture etc.

Just batten + board the wall beneath loft level to the same depth as the PW insulation + boards. Keep it simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back