Space saving staircase to loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a loft conversion and running out of ideas on how to fit the new staircase without taking space out of one of the bedroom.
Only likely options at the moment is space saving or paddle stairs or adding a front dormer. Trying to avoid front dormer as likelihood of getting approval is slim.
So leaning towards paddle staircase which I don't mind. But both BCO that I've consulted have said they wouldn't sign it off.
Any suggestions what I should do?

Sponsored Links
Is a rear dormer not an option?
What sort of layout is there currently?

Current stairs is in the front of the house but it rises against the pitch if the roof. The landing space is big enough but there won't be enough headroom as we go up the stairs to the loft following the same direction a as addingcurrent stairs. We are adding a rear dormer but having the stairs elsewhere means taking space from one of the bedrooms. We don't want to lose a bedroom to gain one.

How many bedrooms are there in the loft. You are allowed alternating stairs, or ladders for that matter, if a conventional stair cannot be accommodated but only to one bedroom but you will need to demonstrate this to BC.

Sponsored Links
There will only be one room with ensuite. Despite telling this, both BCO has said that no. How do you demonstrate that you don't have room for a conventional staircase? I mean there is always an option to take space from the bedrooms but i'm guessing this is not what everybody wants to do for a loft conversion?
Running out of ideas at the moment. Personally i don't like the front dormer idea but I might put it through planning and in the remote chance it gets approved, i will decide if i really want to do it.
Otherwise looks like no loft conversion (BC approved at least).

Sounds like the BCO's are being arses (local authority or private?). Have you stated to them what it actually says in the approved document and asked them then? Have you told the BCO that the project won't be feasible without a spacesaver? In instances like this I've had to state that project won't be feasible ie losing x amount of space from a bedroom + the cost of the conversion will have an adverse effect on the property value etc so as make the conversion unaceptable ergo the project cannot go ahead without the spacesaver.

Sometimes adding a conveniently placed rooflight directly above your stair can give you few hundred mm. Also, no offence but have you had any professional advice regarding fitting the stair in, you could go as narrow as 600mm. Flitting the stair in is sometimes the most tricky part of a lofty where space is really tight.

When you say it's eating into the bedroom, how much are we taking, is it a tiny box room atm or is it a double for example? Have you a to scale plan to show? I had one client telling me how she and her husband were struggling for space - in their 6 bedroom detached house surrounded by a few acres. Their kitchen was bigger than the footprint of my house.

If it required a significant loss of space to a room to accommodate a stair, I would agree to using one, but even that depends on the room itself it wouldn't take much loss of space to a boxroom to make it unusable but a large bedroom could reasonably lose significantly more, the BCO should at least consider it.

Sure but you gotta be a bit practical, 600 is already very narrow for a stair.
I've seen them narrower at 500mm and they were OK and I'm not exactly small. There was a requirement to be 600mm in the B Regs but that was dropped years ago.

I've seen them narrower at 500mm and they were OK and I'm not exactly small. There was a requirement to be 600mm in the B Regs but that was dropped years ago.
500 means virtually no furniture will fit unless flat pack :(

It's private BCO that the builders use normally. The architects/designer are preparing the drawings for the PD application so in the meantime, i'm trying to find solutions to fit the stairs.
The suggestion so far is to take space from the second room which will make it smaller than the boxroom.

Speak to an LABC. The builders use their own private BCO because he's flexible, towards them. That's how he ensures his next paycheck.

Well it's builder who's going to build the loft so I would think they would be more flexible but they even said no to him.
I am considering getting in touch with LABC. Are they more accomodating to these stairs?

You could put forward your proposal with the space saver, if they won't accept it you could
I am considering getting in touch with LABC. Are they more accomodating to these stairs?
Well I've allowed them and I've never worked for a private inspector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back