stairs in old house

I had to say hello, and good luck with your stairs, as I just took delivery of my new stairs (for a new position) today.

I'm not too far from Plymouth, and I too had to move the stairs from a raised kitchen, in an old property.

Sadly, even saying that, I can't really help you. It was part of an overall renovation, new floor joists and everything. But previous posters are right, it really does depend on what you need/want. And that can be as simple as finding out can you fit a 'standard' off the peg staircase where you invisage putting it.

So first port of call would be 'Is the area large enough for a standard staircase' if no... 'Is it large enough for a staircase according to building regulations'.

With regards to the beams... it would depend on the direction theyre in in relation to the stairs, what theyre resting on, and if they can easily be supported with a new cross beam or RSJ.

I think you might find (as I did) it's easier to patch up and put up, or take it all apart and start again ;)

Hope it goes well.

Sponsored Links
You haven't bought the house yet, so the cost of this project can be quoted by a local joiner/builder and added to the mortgage. Repaying a 5K project over, say, 25 years doesn't make a noticeable dent in the beer money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back