Stairs Lower Switch Wire Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I've been doing a bit of wallpapering, and before removing the light switches, I took photos. Unfortunately the photos of the downstairs switch are corrupt and need a little bit of help if possible! I've wired in the top fine:

Upstairs switch
Comm - 1 x Yellow with red band
L1 - 2 x Red
L2 - 1 x Black with red band + 1 x Blue with red band

Downstairs switch
1 x yellow with red band
1 x red
1 x blue with red band

Inputs
L1
L1
L2
L2

PXL_20231107_090827929.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it not that the L1s are on one side (left) and the L2s are on the other side (right); not top and bottom?

Is it not that the L1s are on one side (left) and the L2s are on the other side (right); not top and bottom?

Just checked, 2 x L1's up the top, 2 x L2's at the bottom, the Mrs bought it from B&Q months ago - it's one of these 'snap on' fronts, it's an Intermediate Switch

Sponsored Links
Comm - 1 x Yellow with red band must be same with both switches, with an intermediate switch any terminal can be used as comm but the other terminal of the pair is then unused, so if it goes into L11 then L12 is not used, I always use my meter to test switch, the other two wires does not matter which is which.

Comm - 1 x Yellow with red band must be same with both switches, with an intermediate switch any terminal can be used as comm but the other terminal of the pair is then unused, so if it goes into L11 then L12 is not used, I always use my meter to test switch, the other two wires does not matter which is which.

Thanks Eric

Just getting this wrapped around my room temperature brain, I'll put yellow with red band in bottom left L2

Looking at the top switch, I've got 2 x live going into L1, so I put the downstairs two red's into top left L1 too and blue into corresponding L2 under it?

L1 L1
L2 L2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back