2 Way Wiring Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please

Bought new switch plates and now lights not working.
I've checked and rechecked and I cannot spot what is wrong.

switch 1:
L1 yellow
L2 blue
Comm red

switch2:
L1 yellow & black
L2 blue & red
Comm red (from the 2nd switch cable which includes blue & yellow)

Argh, totally flummoxed
[/img]

Sponsored Links
It seems to me correct. Standard wiring is like to like between switches and L1 and L2 switch wires and your wring seems correct.

So it would seem something else. Be it a faulty switch or a wrong switch. So try some photos.

Check your connections and that you are screwing down on the copper and not the insulation and ...

that none of the conductors has snapped inside the insulation - will feel very floppy.

Sponsored Links
I planned to connect those when all in working order. Is it necessary just for testing though?

If they are new swtiches, one could be faulty, especially if one is a dimmer. First, check all the terminals are nice and tight and also that the terminal is gripping the copper wire and not the plastic (as has already been pointed out.

If that fails, take the normal rocker switch and take the two wires from black and red cable, put one in com and the other in L1, see if that gets the switch working. If it does, try the same thing with the other switch. That should check that both switches are good.

As another note, you did say "lights", I assume there's more than one and we can rule out that the lamp just happened to blow at the same time?

Just to confirm that it is a dimmer switch.
The switches control 2 lights but the bulbs are fine, thought of that one!

I will try those suggestions tomorrow morning.
Thanks

Many dimmer switches will not work in a normal 2 way circuit as they are not change over switches. They have three terminals. Live and Switched Live as in a normal ON OFF switch but the third terminal is a control input for use in "two way switching" The control input, sometimes called "slave" takes a control signal from the other "switch" which is not a switch but a remote controller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back