Stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm trying to install a straight flight of stairs but have ran out of cash temporarily to employ a carpenter so thought I'd try and see how difficult it was.

Basically, I have two newels and straight flight but obviously the strings are finished square either end with a view to being notched at the top over my trimmer and cut at the bottom for th floor.

Can someone explain in very basic terms where I'd start?. Where I'd begin to set out my cutting lines so I can notch out and fit the bottom.

Many many thanks .

Sponsored Links
IMO Stairs are not something a novice should start with. sorry for this unhelpful post, but staircases take skill and experience to make and wrongly made ones can be dangerous.

it sounds like you want to make an open ended mortice or slot to fit the newl post over the string of the stairs?

to do this you basically need to set out where the string will be on the newl by carefully measuring and marking out

you could then drill away most of the material and finish off with a chisel

it needs to be a very tight fit otherwise the newl will wobble in a short period of time so i would suggest you buy some small pieces of 90mm x 90mm or whatever size your newl post is and practice on them

when you have done it i would suggest you use polyurethane glue and draw bore it for dowels (drill holes slightly off centre so when you drive the dowel in it pulls the joint up tighter)

Its difficult for me to explain everything in writing but if you practice until you have it right then do it on the newl you should be fine

good luck with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back